General Carowinds discussion
By KenB
Got 10 rides in today, including the front once,back twice, and I got to try out row 4. All were good.

I have to say at this point my favorite is back right, followed by back left. It's a good bit more intense back there than the rest of the train. The first drop is sick - sick, I tell you - in those seats. On the camelbacks the airtime starts a bit later up the hill than in other rows, but it's closer to ejector air at the crest of the hill and quite strong. The other thing I like is there's a good bit of whip in the turnaround and helix back here, and you get some good pops of air coming into the MCBR, the helix exit, and going into the final brakes. I felt the forces a bit stronger in the right than in the left, but it's not as big of a difference as say Top Gun.

The front row reminds me of TG as well - great view, good ride, but a bit tamer than the rest of the train.

Row 4 did have really good sustained air everywhere, and seemed to be the best spot for hill #2.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again - there isn't a bad seat in the house. Every row delivers a good ride. While they don't do much in the helix or turnaround, the middle rows give some incredible floater air on the camelbacks. On rides Saturday with full trains, it seemed I was out of my seat the entire time up and down those hills, meaning hill #3 was giving like 4-5 seconds of continuous, strong airtime. I've never experienced this on any other ride to this degree.

My only negative was in rides yesterday, I felt the helix, hill #2 and the turnaround were a bit milder than they could have been, and that the ride overall felt a tad bit too "controlled". It certainly was wilder today in the back row.

This ride is my first experience with the new Beemer hyper train design, and it's a winner. The restraints on the B&M hypers was already the best in the business, accommodating for a wide range of people, simple to use, and they provide a great open feeling. With the new staggered seating, the open feeling increases that much more, and is just about perfect.

What's going to be interesting to see is how this thing picks up with the summer heat. It's delivering great rides when the temperatures are in the 40s and 50s. Intimidator may not have shown us all it's tricks just yet, it may have a few surprises in store on those 80 and 90 degree days.
By Blue Moon
Jonathan wrote:Looking at the webcam, it looks like ERT conditions this morning. Literally no line at all.

It literally was. I saw one guest count he had like 53 rides this morning. There were times that I just wanted to fill an empty seat, but I was working. :lol:

And to whoever asked if there is a special seat for larger riders on the Intimidator, all seats are exactly the same except for the positioning of them. Like the front row has two on the inside, second row has two on the outside, and so on. No specific rows for larger guests. Guests are sorted into specific rows anyway. If you feel you may have trouble fitting, I suggest you check the test seat before entering the line. The light will flash green if you are properly secured.

One more thing to note for larger guests: It isn't necessarily the gut that is the issue. It is also commonly the legs or the hips. While in great body shape, larger football players could still have issues. Make sure you also have nothing large in your pockets, and sit straight with your back against the seat. It sometimes works better when you secure the restraint yourself for that last click before the attendant checks it.
I went today and there was never a line. I got on 8 times today. So my whole ride count of Intimidator is 20 times now. I have not had a bad ride on it. Every seat is good. I have finally gotten to try row 4 and Wormy and others are correct it's the best seat. I think it has the best air time. I also enjoy the back as well, really seems faster there.
By jsreid
I went yesterday and got in line around 9:30. After the opening ceremony and the first ride auction riders, we finally got to the station around 10:30. For my first ride we were in row 9 and we were the next in line to get on, but something wasn't working so they had to send 3 empty trains through before we could ride. The ride was awesome. In the 9th row I got a lot of air, more then any of the other seats I went on. That was the only time I rode it Saturday.
Today I went around 1PM and there was no line at all. They weren't even assigning seats so we went to the front row. We had to wait for maybe 3 groups ahead of us. The next time we did the back row and we got on the train and seated, but they made us get back off and back into the line because the queue gates wouldn't close. After 15 minutes they got it fixed and we got back on. The back row was fast! The 4th time I rode the line was a little bit longer, starting at the end of the stairs and we were in the 13th row. We went on the ride and every thing was great, but when we got back in the station our restraints wouldn't come up. It was stuck for a couple minutes. After we got off they sent the train through empty but it stopped after starting up the hill and it was like this for probably 30-45 minutes. And now looking at the webcam over an hour later it looks like it is still shut down. so I guess I don't have very good luck with this ride if 3 out of 4 times something went wrong with it. Other than those problems the ride was awesome. My favorite seat so far was in the 9th row, it got a lot of air on the hills.

Saturday: Intimidator from the season pass processing
Saturday: Waiting in line before it opened
Saturday: Almost there
Saturday: Next in line for my first ride
Saturday: Standing near the bottom of the hill
Sunday: the line for the ride, no one was there!
Sunday: From the skytower, notice the train sitting on the lift hill, it was like this for probably 45 minutes after we got off.
By KenB
Blue Moon wrote: I noticed most of the delay time was unfortunately due to people taking too long to leave the unloading platform. The ride cannot be dispatched with guests on the platform. Not sure how that can be addressed... I did try to speed them up a little by opening the gates once the train stopped even before their restraints unlocked. People would sort of rush them off. :lol:

I think doing it this way is making things even worse, not better. This put the entering riders right on top of the exiting riders, which may have "rushed" the people on the train to get off a bit quicker but it created a severe logjam at the storage bins as both exiting and entering riders were headed to the same spot at the same time.

It would be better to release the restraints first, let those people get out, and get a head start on getting to the storage bins. Then open the gates, and the entering riders will have an easier time getting to the storage bins, then back to the train without all the exiting riders in the way.
I decided to go back to Carowinds to exchange a shirt I bought that was too small. I ended up riding Intimidator 2 more times real quick before I left. This time I rode near the front of the coaster. It was even better! It was fun in the rain as well.
I rode Intimidator 3 times today and it was great! I think the front seat is the best becuase you can feel the speed more. I was going to ride it more, but some kid threw up and they spent some time cleaning all of that up.
By thebigcheese
lazor 22 wrote:Its funny cause you know if they had got the hyper, and we got the giga, they would say the gigs was medicore.

I personally think we should be all for each others coasters and own every park around them with for example how intimidator is waay better than goliath(not my opinion havent been on either yet) or I305 destroys SROS we are both under the same company.
By Davidtmp
^^^ You would think so, but I guess some people on their Fan Page want's to be an a$$...But whatever floats your boat.....Which segways into my experience on Intimidator. This was my first hyper, and all I can say is wow. I rode 5 times with the group yesterday, and it was fun. I was amazed at basically being in free fall down the hills. Looking at the coaster from the lot last weekend and yesterday, it seemed the train slowed at the crest of the hills, and the hills didn't seem to be that bad. BUT, when you are riding, it seems like you're going straight up and out of the trains at the top! The ride up the first hill is fast, the rid is smooth as butter, the crew did a good job, and Anthony still always has a smile on his face.
My gripes for the ride..........um..........yeah..........I don't think I have any!
By RiDeWaRrIoR
Went back today and enjoyed no lines and picking my own seat. I rode maybe 9 times today or so. The ride is just so smooth and soothing. Cant wait to go back in a couple weeks and do it again!
By swampfox43
Davidtmp wrote:Looking at the coaster from the lot last weekend and yesterday, it seemed the train slowed at the crest of the hills, and the hills didn't seem to be that bad.

I was getting gas on Carowinds Blvd today and noticed how slow the trains appeared while cresting the outbound hills. Then it dawned on me that there was a pretty strong wind blowing northeast, and the train was going straight into the wind. This was no illusion. Strong headwinds can definitely slow a coaster train, especially when they are half full. In fact, winds have caused coaster trains to completely stall at Cedar point before.
Davidtmp wrote:... and Anthony still always has a smile on his face!

Ever since I heard Anthony singing different showtunes over at the Flyers he makes me LOL when I see him. Keep on smiling Anthony!
By mxpro
Jonathan, were you wearing a caines jacket Saturday? If that was you then me and my friend were right in front of you in line when the ceremony was going on. I wanted to say something but I didn't wanna feel stupid if it wasn't you. It was definitely a group of enthusiasts though.
By dailyshow
Okay so Anthony who works on the Intimidator staff...I don’t know if you post on here or not but just wanted to offer my props. You did a great job on Saturday and I along with quite a few other people noticed. Keep up the great work! For me the ride actually begins as you enter the que line so the staff play an essential role in the ride. Big thumbs up to Anthony!