General Carowinds discussion
By RiDeWaRrIoR
All I can say is WOW! This coaster was freakin awesome! The experience is incredible. This is my first hyper and man I will NEVER forget it! I rode 5 times today, the line moves incredibly fast so stacking wasnt even an issue at all. Great ride, well worth the wait! I cant wait to go back tomorrow and ride again. I rode in a different seat each time and I can say the experience in the front is a lot different from the back. I loved the very back and the outside, thats my favorite. Still havent gotten the very front seat yet, but row 2 and 3 were nice.To sum it up, incredible coaster well designed and just amazing!
By Blue Moon
Well I just got home from work. I'm glad to see all of the positive remarks you all have from riding today as I thoroughly enjoyed working through it. I'm proud of how we did.

Btw, what was the longest wait time you all experienced from the time the rope was cut? It seemed like the wait time was at most an hour I would guess? I noticed most of the delay time was unfortunately due to people taking too long to leave the unloading platform. The ride cannot be dispatched with guests on the platform. Not sure how that can be addressed... I did try to speed them up a little by opening the gates once the train stopped even before their restraints unlocked. People would sort of rush them off. :lol:

I do think today was a very successful opening day overall. I hope in the weeks to come we will improve the ride capacity even more.
By RiDeWaRrIoR
From the point I started at which was I think 2 rows over from the soda machines, it was like maybe 20 min if that. We did the single rider line a couple times as well and it was maybe 10min or so. Later in the day it was the same amt of time through the entire queue, not one time did I see it filled, well there was 2 times and that was because they were "experiencing technical difficulties." I was very surprised that the line wasnt longer than it was, the season pass line was a lot longer than intimidators, at least it seemed like it. I thought the crew did a great job as not one time was there stacking when I rode, made me more excited to ride it again and again! I hope they keep up the tempo. Anthony was great standing out there in the line warning people about goin 80mph. It was a great opening day and its going to be a great season for carowinds!
By Jonathan
The line was no more than 20-30 minutes the entire afternoon. It's a real capacity machine.

After riding 8 more times today, I think I might like it better than Apollo's Chariot, so my favorite B&M. Most of the trains I was on at media day had a lot of empty seats, and the ride seemed to be a tad faster with more airtime today with completely full trains.
By Blue Moon
Jonathan wrote:The line was no more than 20-30 minutes the entire afternoon. It's a real capacity machine.

After riding 8 more times today, I think I might like it better than Apollo's Chariot, so my favorite B&M. Most of the trains I was on at media day had a lot of empty seats, and the ride seemed to be a tad faster with more airtime today with completely full trains.

Makes me want to ride it on a public day asap now. By the way.. 8 times? I know I did point out some people when I noticed the same t-shirts over and over again. :lol:
The ride was MINDBLOWINGLY AWESOME. Best coaster I have ever ridden hands down, even topping my previous steel favorite Apollo. Here's the review I posted on my Facebook wall: sorry it's a bit lengthy.

Review:
"Today the Intimidator coaster at Carowinds opened to the public. After months of waiting, watching the construction cam, discussing the ride on carowindsconnection.com, and blowing up my facebook feed with Intimidator updates, this morning I finally got a chance to hop on the beast, well, 6 times actually.

The Verdict:

YOU MUST GET TO CAROWINDS AND RIDE THIS COASTER.

-First off, this is probably the smoothest ride I have ever ridden. There is not a single jerk, bump, pothole, or rough wheel on this entire machine. The feeling of speed gained from this smooth track and the open trains/lapbars really has to be felt to be believed.
-In addition to the speed, this ride pulls some major G's, to the point where it actually would hinder my ability to re-ride in rapid succession! Every hill feels impossibly steep both up and down, which leads to a quick pattern of "OMG I'M FLYING OUT" followed by "whoa I'm getting crushed into my seat going really really fast." The surprising grade of the hills is probably what caught me off guard the most after having ridden Apollo's Chariot, a much more floaty family coaster when compared to Intimidators intense pullouts and plummeting airtime. You'll have to ride it to understand what I mean but the positive to negative G sequence is pretty intense, much more so than Apollo's has ever been for me.
-The trains are perfect. The staggered seating configuration and greater train length when compared to Apollo's really is an upgrade. Every seat has an outside view and unique ride... which brings me to my next point...
-There is NOT a bad seat on this ride. After a few times in the front and back I was forced into a middle seat by an overzealous ride-op, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the middle is just as much fun. Here's the breakdown:
Front Row: Hanging face first down the gigantic first hill is quite unnerving to say the least. At the top of every hill you are launched out of your seat as the rest of the train pushes you over
Center Seats: Rather than experiencing a very strong pop up or plummet down, the middle seats have a perfectly designed "floater" airtime that lasts all the way from halfway up a hill to the bottom of the next, which can be more than 5 seconds on the 3rd hill! I've never felt such sustained airtime for a long period of time, the engineers nailed it.
Back Row: Prepare to plummet down ever drop, 3 of which are taller than every other ride in the park. The first drop is mental, the second twisty drop is taken very quickly, and the forces run high. I would recommend a back row ride to first timers who want to feel what the Intimidator can put your body through - hint - it's fun.
To sum it up, you can sit anywhere and enjoy this ride for different reasons, but I enjoyed the middle and back more than the front.
-There will never be a long line for this ride. Built by the best manufacturer in the industry, the Intimidator should not experience significant downtime, and more importantly, EATS people all day. At no point was the line longer than 30-40 minutes today even with a completely full queue line spilling into the midway. 32 people per train x 3 trains on the track == blazing fast line and happy guests.
-Intimidator finally gives Carowinds a skyline. No matter where you are in the park / parking lot, Timmy is visible and imposing.
-The trim brakes are very very weak. The second trim and midcourse were lightly tapping the train today which I really dislike, but with airtime on every hill and heavy g's between they really did not take away from the ride. As the ride and weather warms up it will surely pick up a few mph - hopefully the trims won't prevent that.

First Hill: Steep, huge, aggressive. The drop feels like it will never end and really rocks the back half of the train. Huge props for the silent anti-rollbacks that make for a silent and fast trip up the hill.
Second (Twisty) Hill: The front half of the train will experience airtime as the twist over to the right and fall down the hill, the back half gets pulled down said hill very quickly.
Third Hill: Airtime city - middle seats can pull over 5 seconds straight, back seats... another plummet like the first drop.
Turnaround: The twisting motion combined with the speed and near inversion give you just enough time to prepare for the next hills
Fourth Hill: After a tiny tap from the trim brake (boo) more airtime.
Fifth Hill: Floater air for the entire train.
Drop off the Mid-Course Brakes: Back seaters get tossed out of their seats pretty effectively.
Helix: Blah, gimme another hill.
Hill into the Brakes: Nice pop of air in the front as the train slides through the efficiently silent magnetic brakes.

This is roller coaster perfection people from the finest engineering firm in all the world. Get to Carowinds ASAP if you didn't today, it's worth it.

NOTE: The Dale Earndhart theme is pathetic. The country music in the line combined with his mug plastered on the walls REALLY doesn't do this ride justice, but hey, we live in the South :/. If I have to hear the Talledega Shuffle one more time... At least they can rip the dale stuff down someday and just have "Intimidator," the signs even seemed to be made in segmented pieces to allow for this in the future. Management should do this and replace the music with loud techno ala Cedar Point's MF ASAP - but the ride still kicks ***.

Next week: i305 opens in Virginia."

Good to see everyone else enjoyed Timmy as much as I did, Carowinds has a real winner.
By Lil_Gump
I rode 7 times in the back row and all I can say is wow! The airtime is insane on that 3rd hill. My only complaint is that they didn't turn off the queue music during the National Anthem.
By Jonathan
^^Great review. The middle seats really are what surprised me the most. Having not been on Behemoth or Diamondback, I had no idea that the middle seats would provide such a great ride.
It was amazing no words can tell you how awesome it is. I was in the single rider line so I had a 5 min wait then a 10 min wait and a walk on. in line I talked to bgwfreak and some nice 7th grade Social studies teacher.Though the lift is 30* it felt like at least 45* on the lift.
Last edited by thunderroad528 on March 27th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yea the middle seats are really really awesome. Every other coaster save some inverteds/flyers I generally avoid the middle seats, but this one really shines in the middle with that insane 3rd hill providing the longest patch of air I've ever felt. It may look slow from the ground for the middle seats but you really have to try it to understand the float.

EDIT: And I'm not just saying this so you'll all move out of the back/front rows :p. The middle is great.
I don't have a review, but I can say this... One word... Amazing. Its probably the fifth best coaster I've been on (I've only been to three parks though). I had a blast. I was disappointed they would let us go to the front with their assigned seating... I was disappointing in that, but that didn't hurt my riding experience. You have a blast on the ride and when you get to the photo part , you can pose, and it is freaking hilarious. I had a blast. It was extremely fun riding the 5 times we did and Anthony did an excellent job. I saw a lot of other CC members as well.
By Jonathan
I'm sure you won't be alone, but just out of curiosity, could you elaborate on what you didn't like?

I think for some people, the whole concept of a hyper coaster isn't going to be that interesting. It doesn't have the disorienting elements or forces of a looping coaster, or the out of control feeling of a good wooden coaster. For me personally, though, there's not much better in the coaster world than those wonderful parabolic hills with floating airtime over them.

Have you been on any other hypers, and if you have what did you think of them?

By the way I noticed coasterbruh made the front page of the Charlotte Observer this morning. Not sure if any other members are in the photo or not. It was the main cover story; pretty cool.