General Carowinds discussion
barrynyu wrote:I'm curious...I was just on Rebel Yell this week and it looks like it hasn't been touched for forty years. Rode okay, but I wonder why TR has needed so much attention (previous rebuilding, the lift hill issue, etc) when RY just keeps on going.

Keep in mind Rebel Yell and Racer are both "little sisters" of Thunder Road. And as we all know the larger a wooden coaster gets, the harder it becomes to maintain (obviously there are countless other variables- climate, et cetera) Maybe the larger size of Thunder Road led to its earlier demise. Also, if it was the lift hill that did it in, do any of you remember how some trains used to get stuck momentarily at the very top of the lift lill(s), especially during the early 2000's. I remember distinctly the trains stalling as if they were struggling to get over the hill. Maybe that could have been associated with these lift hill problems?
Crazy to think just a few years ago the turnaround was gone, but we all new it would come back all shiny and new... Now it wont be comin back.... Will miss this old ride but I am still glad we are getting a waterpark makeover/addition. Cant wait to see the actual renderings and what we will be getting,
I stopped by today to get some pictures.

They say the first drop is a killer
They are salvaging metal
I'll take that piece right there.
Tight squeeze
Demolition on the last turnaround is well under way

I saw them tear down the last piece of the first turnaround but didn't have my camera ready in time. By the time I got out of the park to the campground entrance they were already well on their way with the final turnaround. It's probably down by now since I took these about 2 hours ago.

Here's a short video clip I recorded on my phone while sitting at the stoplight. You can hear the wood [s]crying out[/s] splintering.
https://youtu.be/2GHhEDKqh-k